Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Local Gamedev Round Table Discussion
After a productive meeting discussing the state of the local game development scene in the Maltese Islands, I've rebooted the forums (and hopefully, they're spam-proof this time around).

Meeting 23rd October 2014
Topics discussed:
  • Keeping the momentum going
  • Securing funding for local game developers
  • Local talent being syphoned into foreign companies
  • Are there talented people in Malta? How many?
  • Keeping the local community engaged, allowing cross-pollination of ideas (possibly by working within the same space)
Site Administrator at GameDev.com.mt
Co-Founder / Game Designer / Public Relations Officer at Kvasir Games

Portfolio: simon.com.mt
A couple of notes on some of the points listed in the first message:
  • Keeping the momentum going
Just a reminder that the next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday 5th November. Apart from Dirk, Fleur, Anthony, Neville, and Nicholas can you recall any other local game devs who might be interested in joining us for the next meeting? I know that there are the guys from Basement Studios who have been doing some pretty nifty work, and then there is the Pencil Pig company who had been doing some work (but I am not sure if they are still active).
  • Local talent being syphoned into foreign companies
The best talent will likely be drawn towards the highest paying and most rewarding job opportunities, and in Malta these are not usually found in the video games industry, let alone in tiny startups like most of us are. So unless we get lucky and land a group of masochists, we'll need to make the best out of the talent we get. I believe that the argument that there are no local institutions which teach fine arts is a valid one, but so is the argument that we should not expect anything to be done for us by the local government and handed over to us on a sliver plate. I think that the most efficient way of changing the present situation for the better is by taking it upon ourselves to create the opportunities for local talent to join us, and create the proper environment within which any local talent that joins us can learn, gain experience and thrive. Easier said than done for sure, but at least we can maybe consider this when defining this 'plan' or 'strategy' forward.
  • Are there talented people in Malta? How many?
Perhaps, if you think that it would be useful, I could involve some of the members on my team in one of the upcoming meetings, particularly the people who are or have been involved in the teaching of creative arts topics.
Are we still meeting this Wednesday for the next roundtable discussion?

I passed by the Comic Expo yesterday and came across the guys I thought were Pencil Pig. Had a chat with them and it turns out that Pencil Pig is no more, having sold their IP to another company, which IP eventually made its way into the hands of another local startup called Steampunk Wizards; who are the guys I talked to at the Comic Expo. They've renamed the game they are working on from Tangled Tut to Bungee Mummy.

Anyway, I'm just putting this information out here so that I'm sure you know about Steampunk Wizards if you'd like to ask them to join us for these meetings. It would be great if we can help them get involved with us somehow, since I had never seen their faces at industry-related events until last weekend.
I also spoke to Steampunk Wizards this weekend, and have added them to the list of companies on the website. Good to see new faces.

Not sure about what's happening this week.
Site Administrator at GameDev.com.mt
Co-Founder / Game Designer / Public Relations Officer at Kvasir Games

Portfolio: simon.com.mt